Self Defense: A Necessity for Women
Whoever thought that the world would become a better place in due time and with technological advancements and modernization was wrong. The world is still as hostile a place, and the only thing that has changed is the weapons. Crime has become more sophisticated in nature but the sad part is that women are still considered as soft targets.
Crimes against women have in fact, increased over the years in developed countries like the US and UK and across the world. Let us first take a look at the worldwide statistics for crime on women:
- 1 in every 3 women across the world has been subjugated to rape or sexual assault. (Data: 2001)
- In some developing countries, at least one-third of the adolescent girls have been forced into sexual initiation (Data: 2002)
- Sex crimes in South Africa take place every twenty seconds. (Data: 2000)
- Major incidents of rapes have been reported in 12 African provinces. The rate has increased considerably from 182 in 2001 to 270 in 2002.
- 14,000 of the 331,815 reported crimes committed against women in the Russian Federation were rapes.According to a survey in the United Kingdom it was found that 19.4 % of the women there have been victims of some kind of sexual violence. (Data: 2001)
- 40% of girls in South East Asia are being forced into prostitution as a means to feed their families.
Now let's take a look at the US
- One of the startling facts is that 1 in 3 American women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime.
- 89% of sexual crimes have been committed by someone known to the victim.
- In 2002, there were 247,730 victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
- In 2005-2006, there were 232,010 victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
- Around 44% of rape victims are under age 18, while 80% are under age 30.
1. The World Bank. www.worldbank.org
2. "International Statistics." www.sexualassault.virginia.edu/statistics_international.htm
3. United Nations Development Fund for Women. "Facts and Figures: Sexual Violence in Non-Conflict Situations." www.unifem.org/campaigns/november25/facts_figures_3.php
4. The World Health Organization. "Sexual Violence Facts." www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention
5. United Nations Development Fund for Women. "Stop Violence against Women: Prevalence of Sexual Assault." www.stopvaw.org/PrevalenceofSexualAssault.html or www.unifem.org
6. National Center for Victims of Crime (2004)
7. NSVRC. "Global perspectives on Sexual
In such an insecure world, it is far more difficult for a woman to survive as compared to their male counterpart. But all is not lost because there are several methods or weapons that a woman can use to thwart an assaulter. One of the most powerful and popular weapons is the pepper spray, which has a far-reaching effect. The motive behind using pepper sprays as opposed to lethal weapons like Guns is that pepper sprays or Tasers will not kill the assaulter or anyone trying to commit crime on a woman but at the same time, these weapons are extremely effective and can save a woman's life and dignity.
The different types of crimes on women include:
- Murder & Theft
- Sexual abuse
- Domestic violence
- Purse snatching
- Property crimes
- Sexual harassment in the office
Of all these crimes, rape, sexual abuse, sexual harassment in office premises and stalking has a higher rate than other crimes. In such a crime, a woman can use a pepper spray, Taser or martial art techniques for self defense.
The Pepper spray is also called an OC spray, where OC stands for Oleoresin Capsicum. It is basically a powerful lachrymatory agent, a chemical compound that can cause severe irritation in the eyes and ears and even lead to temporary blindness and severe pain. The pepper spray is used the world over by women to protect them against any anti-social element and have considerably brought down the number of sexual molestation and rape in many countries.
The Pepper spray can be used for various purposes like controlling a mob, controlling riot and even as a weapon of self-defense against animals like bears, wolves, and dogs. It is completely non-lethal although it can be deadly if not used in small quantities. In 1995, the American Civil Liberties Union had documented 14 cases of pepper spray use that turned fatal. If you spray an entire can of Pepper Spray into someone's eyes then in all probability the subject will go permanently blind.
The primary ingredient in Pepper spray is called capsaicin. Capsaicin is a chemical compound that can be derived from the fruits of a special plant belonging to the Capsicum genus and chillies. There are several different types of Pepper spray in use like Mace Pepper Sprays, Wildfire Pepper Spray, Lipstick Pepper Spray, and a specific version called the PAVA Pepper Spray. The PAVA Pepper Spray has capsaicin, pelargonic acid vanillylamide or desmethyldihydrocapsaicin and it is extensively used in England. A synthetic counterpart of the pepper spray is called the pelargonic acid morpholide. This was developed in Russia and is widely used there.
Pepper sprays are available in canisters and are considered to be an inflammatory. The moment you use pepper spray on a subject, it will cause severe irritation in the eyes and closing of the eye. Some of the other symptoms include a running nose, difficulty in breathing, and coughing apart from the tears. The duration of a Pepper spray effect actually depends on the amount of spray you have used but on an average it can last from anywhere between thirty minutes to an hour.
Here are some important tips:
1. When you are carrying a can of pepper spray in your hand, your thumb should be on the top of your trigger.
2. If your attacker comes too close too you then back up a little so that you are in a better position to use the spray.
3. Use a good amount of spray so that the chilli pepper can do its job as quickly as possible.
4. While the attacker is in pain and temporarily blind, you should try to get out of there as fast as you can.
One of the best self-defense weapons is a stun gun like the Taser C2. There are several benefits of owning or using a Taser C2 stun gun. It is handy and can be carried just about anywhere. It can be hid in the purse as it is of the size of a TV remote and can be used anywhere, anytime. It can be easily found over the internet and costs around $300.
The Taser C2 delivers a charge or electric current the moment it comes into direct contact with the attacker or the subject in question. The Taser C2 has a range of 15 feet and it can pierce through 2 inches of clothing. The range will help any woman to prepare and defend herself well in advance.
The Taser C2 is an electronically controlled device or ECD. The cartridge consists of two electrodes, which are propelled through the air with the help of two wires and compressed nitrogen. The electrodes pierce through the clothing and stick to the skin. Electrical pulses are transmitted through the wires to the electrodes and into the body of the attacker. The effect is stunning and the attacker will go into a shock. The effect will last long enough for you to flee from there or call for law enforcement agents. The Taser C2 can be fired to anywhere on the body and is non-lethal hence can be used extensively by women to thwart any attack.
The last line of defense is Martial Arts, which combined with any of the above can prove to be a lethal combination. Martial Arts are not for everyone not because the training is difficult but because it is time consuming too. Martial art is considered to be a lethal force and you might end up killing your attacker. There are different types of martial art forms that can be learnt quickly like Judo, Karate, Taekwondo, and Tai Chi. Karate and Taekwondo are by far the most popular forms and can also cause severe injury to the attacker.
There are certain parts of the human body, which are prone to severe injuries like the face, forehead, neck, abdomen, and groin. You can hit a man or your attacker in the groin and the nose for maximum impact. The strongest weapons of a woman's body include the head, elbow, and knees. Martial art will teach you to use these body parts effectively to disable or wound your opponent temporarily. A hit with the elbow to the nose will not only stun them but also give you enough time to get away.
The only drawback of Martial arts is that it is effective only in close combat situations but if your subject is fleeing away or is at a distance then the Taser and the Pepper Spray can prove to be highly effective.